Horizon SaaS Questions and Answers
I cannot store my Citrix password anymore why ?
- Citrix has updatded its security policies and storing password is not an option anymore for external users using Citrix Receiver. However, you can use your favorite web browser to navigate to the same URL, and the browser will allow you to store the credentials
Accessing Horizon with Citrix Workspace or a web browser? What is the difference?
- There is no difference between the 2. Once you click on the Horizon shortcut, it will connect using your locally installed Citrix Workspace. The only difference is in the way you access the Horizon shortcut.
Do I need to install Citrix Workspace if I access Horizon with the web browser?
- However, if you want to use Horizon SaaS without having to install the citrix client, you can use the LIGHT version from the web page and horizon will launch inside your web browser and it will not require any client to be installed. It will have limited functionality. Printers and local drives will not be connected, so you will not be able to print nor import/export from your local PC.
Why would I use web browser over Citrix Workspace agent?
- There are pros and cons for each method. Let’s go through each of them:
- Web Browser:
- Lets you store the password.
- No need to configure (URL and Credentials) the Citrix Workspace for each windows user using the computer.
- Easy access
- Will not automatically place a Horizon shortcut on user’s desktop
- Have an extra step to reach Horizon (opening web browser)
- Still need to have Citrix Workspace installed
- Citrix Receiver:
- Automatically create a Horizon shortcuts on user’s desktop
- User friendly
- Will not allow password saving
- Have to configure it for each windows user accessing the PC
How are licenses assigned?
- Licenses are normally assigned per computer. The idea behind that is that horizon stores its printer settings in the Citrix profiles on our cloud. Since each computers might have different printers configuration, its best to license per computer so settings stay with the computer.
Can I use the same license on multiple computers?
- Short answer is yes BUT! The same license (seat number) cannot be used at the same time on 2 different computers. If you want to use the same license on a different computer, you will have to first close horizon on the first computer, then open it on the second computer. Be aware that this might cause issues with label printer configuration if the printer configuration differs from one computer to the other. The same name and driver needs to be used if you want this feature to work on both.
Can I use Horizon on my mobile/tablet?
- Yes, as long as it has internet connectivity. The citrix workspace app is available for mobile devices. However, SirsiDynix does not offer support on the citrix application for mobile devices. We still support the horizon software once you get it connected.
Can I install the same Citrix license on 2 different computers?
- Though it is not recommended if the computers have different printers. If you do not plan to use printing function, then there is no issue sharing the license on multiple computers. However, the same license can only be connected once at any given time. To use it on another computer, horizon needs to be closed on the first computer.
How do I access my local drives?
- Citrix will let you access your local drives. If you bring up the Horizon file browser by saving or exporting something, you will see your local drives. They should be called something like C: on (name of your computer). You could also type this in the field: \\client\c$ or \\client\d$. We also map (create a drive letter) your local C: drive to a U:\ drive on the server, so you can also access it from the u:
How do I access my Network drives?
- Citrix will connect to all of your Network mapped drives on your PC. However, it will not Map it automatically. You can still access them using the same path as: \\client\driveletter$ so IE: \\client\N$
- If you really need to have a MAP on the Citrix servers so you can see the drive in the list, SirsiDynix can connect your network drives automatically. However, the drive letters must be the same on each of your computers so it is consistent everywhere.
I do not see my printers in my citrix session, why?
- You probably launched it using the LIGHT version of the citrix client, meaning your horizon application is running inside your browser. You will have to change the Receiver/workspace option to use the full client. Please refer to this article: https://support.sirsidynix.com/kb/164719
Is my Citrix access secured?
- We use encryption on your Citrix session using SSL. Your connection goes through a secure gateway called Citrix NetScaler that encrypts traffic.
Why do I have to use the DEP icon to run Day End process?
- The DEP icon will send you to a server that stays up at night and will not reboot. It also contains all the DEP tools like DeSMS, Deoverdue, Deautorenewal, Debt Collect etc… We can also schedule those using a scheduled task, but it will only work if you are using the DEP icon.
I am getting disconnected every Monday morning. Why?
- We reboot the Citrix servers at 4Am central every Monday morning to start fresh.
I want to run SQL scripts myself, am I allowed to do it?
- Sure ! We can give you access through Citrix. A tool called Query Analyzer that will let you run all the queries you want. Your Database login might only have certain write access to your database on certain tables. If you need more write access, please let us know. Be aware that with great power comes great responsibilities.
How often do you backup my database?
- We back up your data every night and transaction logs every hour during the day to give us more restore possibilities in case something goes wrong during the day. You will not lose an entire day of transactions. We keep backups for 3 weeks on site.
Can I change my Citrix password?
- Yes you can change your citrix login password on the web interface. Login to your citrix account with your favorite web browser, and click on the drop down arrow at the top right of you screen, and go to "account settings", then change password